Monday, November 18, 2013

Routine

Every golfer has somewhat of a routine before they address the ball. The game is so mentally oriented that if you change your routine or swing in even a slight way it will completely alter the result. Most amateurs are so anxious to hit the ball that they skip their routine sometimes and end up struggling especially in their putting game. Great golfers such as Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and more have all stressed the importance of a routine on the putting green. It's not exactly the complicated nature of a routine that is important but the "idea" or consistency of the routine. Personally, my putting routine is simple but it works for me and keeps my mind under control when I address the ball. I take 5 steps back and examine the break of the putt, I address the ball and take 3 practice putting strokes, then I glance at the hole once then back at the ball and then I'm ready to putt. Some golfers have much more extravagant routines and some have even simpler routines than my own but as long as it is executed the same way every time, your mental game will improve dramatically.

I Figured it would be beneficial for you guys to see some routine tips from the pros. Below is a video featuring Tiger Woods, Paul Casey, and Anthony Kim and all share some great tips about the routine and it's importance for your consistency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J_0OE0btbw

No comments:

Post a Comment